Friday, March 04, 2005

Social Security is first line of defense

When I was young, I heard many stories about life during the Depression while at my grandmother's table. She was a single mom (by circumstance, not choice) and raised two boys during the toughest of times. Often her stories ended with a moral about the importance of saving for retirement, but just as often they ended with her own personal testimonial about Social Security. Life would be so much more difficult without the Social Security, she would tell us. It is hard for us to imagine how difficult those times were, but we can get some idea by looking at the lopsided vote that made the Social Security Act law. It passed in the House on April 19, 1935, by a vote of 372-33, and in the Senate on June 19, 1935, by a vote of 77-6. Overwhelming margins like that are usually only achieved in a vote on an issue like war.

In a few years I will be able to receive Social Security and my daughter will be entering the work force. I have always been grateful that Social Security would be there for me, and I am grateful that it will be there for my daughter. Social Security is about all of us, not just a lucky few.

The only crisis in Social Security is one of conscience; do we all have the responsibility to provide a social security net for each other?

Social Security should be the first line of defense in true homeland security.

Kevin A. Green
Anacortes

Letters to the Editor - Skagit Valley Herald

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home